View Single Post
Old 04-30-16, 09:32 AM   #6
Kramer
Lurking Renovator

Here's and idea from someone with no experience. On a separate line from your current system, have a small solar powered pump move the well water up to a drainback system. The pump would only operate in sunlight, so freezing would not be a problem. You could operate this system all year long and pre-heat your well during the summer. This all assumes the well is not you domestic water supply. There are dozens of DIY drainback systems that can be made cheaply on the web. Dudadiesel sells a $500 pool heater that would also work very well. I've thought about doing the same thing you have done with your pool. If I did it, I would use the pool heater to heat the pool then use the pool water to heat the evaporator on a heat pump. Basically the pool would giant buffer for a solar heated home rather then a geothermal heat source. The solar water heaters are much cheaper then then digging trenches. Hopefully you keep getting some great ideas from someone who unlike myself has actually tried some of this stuff.
Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote