View Single Post
Old 08-28-17, 08:41 AM   #28
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Ok, so with that guy's earth tube test, he was transferring about 200 Watts with 2 holes. There are about 3500 Watts per ton of refrigeration, so you figure that out. Dozens of holes per ton of capacity.

You ain't me, so you may enjoy digging holes. I don't. You already have a well, so guess what? I recommend the same thing: put your well pump on a solar panel.

Your line of thinking is correct with respect to the ground having low heat transfer. It has lots and lots of buffering ability, but not by the pound. As the recirculating ground loop gets larger, the heat transfer ability follows, eventually approaching that of a well or cave.
For my place the most economical would be the well pump with dc on pannels. But . I am helping someone else basically making a system to make there window shaker more efficient where his holes are mini 12 ft holes even with my design i built to dig we could punch a 50 footer in less than an hour . that 10ft hole takes me about 10 mins. But the 50 footer would be a good canidate for the water sourced loop instead becuase it may be more economical to them than the vertical earth tube . But (i still would like to know if that would work my self )

Yeah i dont particularly (like) to dig holes but it gives me a chance to see flaws in my design that someone else may see. And its just set and go until pipe change here so not much work

So he is transfering about 8.3 watts per foot with the tubes yea the top 3 ft prob isnt transfering much of any thing.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote