View Single Post
Old 09-05-14, 01:51 AM   #9
Ormston
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Nice floor insulation. 4" + is what we all should use but sadly it doesn't happen enough.

What made you decide between insulation on the inside of the wall verses on the outside?

What was the cost per m2 of PIR?
I insulated inside the house as the outside is finished in nice looking hand made brick which we want to retain the look of it.
I,ve not looked into it but would imagine external insulation would require planning permission, most things in the UK do.

I live around 30 miles from where kingspan (PIR) is produced and slightly closer still is a company that sells all their seconds. Insulation with creased or damaged foil, irregular thickness etc.
Whilst I claim the floor to be 125mm it is made up of sheets that vary from 115-130mm and even some that is 50 one end and 75 the other(2 sheets back to back give an even 125).

By using seconds the cost is around 60-70% of the normal cost, although still not cheap.
A 2400x1200 (8x4')sheet of 120mm PIR is usually £47, using seconds reduces that to £31
The 24mm sheets I used for the walls are around £9 a sheet.
So far insulation has been the biggest cost after the original house purchase, I haven't kept an accurate record of it but must be around £4500 by now.

Steve
Ormston is offline   Reply With Quote