View Single Post
Old 10-18-14, 03:34 PM   #10
Ormston
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
This is OK with me for the types of control the way the controller I am planning to do will use the out door sensors. This outdoor control will work with a heat pump that is refrigerant based. My question is this:

How well do these controls save energy when rigged to a gshp or ashp for outdoor heat gathering and a water cylinder for a heat dump? I understand that with gas burners, less gas corresponds directly to energy and cost savings. With phase change devices, the calculations are not so simple or direct.

For simplicity sake, assume two situations:

1. Retrofit or integrated into a boiler or dhw loop where design day temp is around 130degF.

2. New or integrated into hydronic loop with design day temp below 100 degF.
For dhw heating the odr needs to be disabled as it would limit water temp.

For hydronic heating purposes the odr limits water temp to just hot enough to keep the house warm.
It saves energy due to the way refrigerant heat pumps power consumption is proportional to the output temp(and to a lesser extent the input temp). The higher the output temp the higher the power consumption.
My ASHP draws around 850w when heating my floor to 24C and 1300+w when heating my water tank to 50C.

Steve
Ormston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ormston For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (10-19-14), jeff5may (02-20-16)