View Single Post
Old 10-18-14, 02:56 PM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMCF View Post
My (NIBE) heat pump uses this approach and it works well for keeping the temperature constant as the weather changes, but it doesn't seem well-suited for situations where the house must be brought up to temperature from cold. Say after a power outage, or after a temperature setback period. It seems that the heat pump adds enough heat to offset the losses to the outside, but doesn't add any/enough to raise the temperature.
Not a problem for us as we keep the temperature steady, but if you wanted to vary the temperature significantly this may need some override based on the internal temperature.
This is OK with me for the types of control the way the controller I am planning to do will use the out door sensors. This outdoor control will work with a heat pump that is refrigerant based. My question is this:

How well do these controls save energy when rigged to a gshp or ashp for outdoor heat gathering and a water cylinder for a heat dump? I understand that with gas burners, less gas corresponds directly to energy and cost savings. With phase change devices, the calculations are not so simple or direct.

For simplicity sake, assume two situations:

1. Retrofit or integrated into a boiler or dhw loop where design day temp is around 130degF.

2. New or integrated into hydronic loop with design day temp below 100 degF.

Last edited by jeff5may; 10-18-14 at 03:05 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote