View Single Post
Old 10-21-08, 05:49 AM   #1
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Warming & Insulating Brian's Kitchen

So i've definitely complained enough about this on here, but for those that don't know the details, here they are...

My Kitchen was extended about 2 years before I bought my house. Inside, it really added a lot of space to what was already there. But, the extension is hanging over air, not over my basement like the rest of my house.

Every winter the kitchen, which has real tile flooring, is probably a good 10 degrees cooler than the rest of my house. To make matters work, the floor on the extension part is probably a good 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the kitchen itself.

Probably a year an a half ago, i went into the crawl space under the kitchen and noticed it looked like there was no insulation. WOW. So, I added a layer of insulation, and enclosed it with 2x4s (not a lot of room to work, this seemed easiest.

Next winter that didn't seem to help at ALL. I went around w/ expanding foam and another layer of insulation, and added all that. Still no luck.

So that brings us up to the last month or so.
So far I've closed off everywhere inside that looks like it could be letting air in, and then yesterday I began prep work to add a moisture barrier over the last layer of insulation I added under the kitchen. Today I will hopefully get all of that up.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the work...

Caulking

Under my kitchen

insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote