View Single Post
Old 01-30-09, 04:22 PM   #18
TestDrive
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
By the way: I have since confirmed there is NO insulation in the walls of this old house.

Also, and this is a good one: there's nobody in the apartment downstairs, so the heat is off. My same-floor neighbour tells me that when the downstairs heat is on, you can feel it in the floor. Should help cut down my energy use "sharing" theirs. Hopefully we'll have a new (quiet ) neighbour next month.
Until someone starts heating the floor for you: 1) Anywhere you routinely sit, put down a couple of sheets of corrugated cardboard and cover with a small throw rug. 2) Anywhere you routinely stand, put down a throw rug. 3) Nice warm socks well insulated foot wear.

West and North walls must be exterior walls, what about the others? If it's only the two, you might try insulating exterior walls from the inside. eg. Corrugated cardboard boxes, stuffed with crushed newspaper and stacked floor to ceiling against those walls. You can probably get the cardboard boxes for free from a local grocery store just by asking. If you can track down the guy that fills newspaper racks in your town or a local news stand, typically on ly the dated portion of the front page/cover of unsold periodicals is returned for credit and the vendor is responsible for disposing of the remaining bulk. Most times these guys will be happy to give you old newspapers for free and that would let you fill those boxes in a hurry.
TestDrive is offline   Reply With Quote