View Single Post
Old 09-12-16, 02:03 PM   #19
DEnd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
Steven those numbers are for sure nice, I'm still concerned with it being over sized, but at that price your right it is hard to beat. We are not stuck on the mono pitch yet. I think as long as we have vaulted ceiling in the great room/kitchen area we would be happy. I still hate the idea of having my duct work in the attic unless of course I can have the rather a insulated, but then I hate the idea of heating and cooling my attic. So many options, so much more research. I wish more people had these type systems/houses in my area.

DEnd, I am really liking the idea for sips they seem quick and a good product, I'm going to do some calling around to see if anyone in the area builds with them. I have a lot of connections around here. I can make more money at my job than I can save doing the time consuming labour parts of the house. I'm the general contractor for sure though.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Why do you hate the duct work in the attic? If it is insulated you are conditioning the space regardless, and you get conditioned storage space. If it is un-insulated then a well sealed duct system buried in the insulation is a fairly decent system, though you would not want to put any mechanical equipment in there. I agree that it is not the best solution (due to low fault tolerance), but it can be a workable one.

I don't really have anything against SIPs, but their details are not common knowledge. Yes they are fairly simple, but finding people who know how to move the Sips efficiently and safely as well as detail any penetrations they have, and know the tricks of wiring etc... is a lot harder than finding people who are familiar with the details of stick construction.

I would say you need some form of slab insulation regardless. At minimum you need to address the thermal bridge at the outside of the slab. BSC has a few ways to do this: https://buildingscience.com/document...059-slab-happy
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote