View Single Post
Old 11-07-13, 09:27 AM   #8
stevehull
Steve Hull

Ryland,

I think we all agree that whole house battery backup is not economical. A friend of this forum (and mine) that sells internal combustion back-up is now convinced that the combination of using grid tie solar PV AND a small generator is the way to go. But he is biased as he sells generators . . .

He feels that using off peak power to supply the house (often at 1/2 the average rate) is a great way to cut the electricity bill for some 20 hours per day. The problem is that life can interfere with minimal use of electricity during times of peak power (4-8 PM typically). This is also just the time when PV sun exposure is waning . . .

I found this to be so while caring for an adult parent on an oxygen concentrator . . . .

Question: Does the group feel that battery back-up or a small generator is the best way to go to provide the need for power in this time niche?

At this peak time billing period, you are competing with the cost of peak power of $0.40- 0.60 per kWhr and even higher in large metropolitan areas ($1 and up). So we are NOT competing with power at $0.10/kWhr or so.

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 11-07-13 at 12:37 PM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote