View Single Post
Old 02-06-14, 06:39 AM   #6
herlichka
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Septic tank supplier can supply several types of "kits" to convert your square plug to an easy access inspection setup. There are couple of variables, how much soil is on the tank, and what does the local inspector approve. The supplier should be able to suggest the right material.
We often use a precast concrete riser with a precast lid. The riser resembles a concrete well tile, and are usually available in heights with 6" increments. I usually set the riser with "PL Premium", and fabricate a cove around the joint between the riser and tank with quickset mortar. It can be further protected with some brushed on asphalt foundation sealer. The original plug can be discarded at this point.
Another method is to install precast "picture frames" - 24" square precast risers 2" thick. They have a bevelled inner and outer edge, and actually do resemble picture frames. Again, we glue them in place, ad place a mortar cove around them to deflect water. They can be stacked to bring the assembly up to grade, and are capped with a 24" square reinforced patio stone.
In my last post, when I spoke about watching what goes into your system I forgot to mention a couple of things. Feminine hygiene products and disposable diapers may seem obvious, but still seem to find their way in. A new product, personal wipes, may be a problem. They are not easily broken down by contact with water, and I fully expect to see them this year sooner or later. Be sure to let your houseguests know the rules.
herlichka is offline   Reply With Quote