View Single Post
Old 02-05-14, 05:33 PM   #5
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herlichka View Post
In Ontario discharge filters are now a code requirement on all new installs, and are required almost every time a tank is repaired. New tanks have a 6"PVC riser molded into the lid directly above the filter, complete with a removable cap, so that the filter element can be easily removed for cleaning. This should be done at least annually, the element can be pulled up and out with a sturdy wire hook, then rinsed off with the garden hose.
I work for a large contractor, we're licensed septic installers and repair. There's not too much I haven't seen. I can't stress enough to people how important it is to watch what goes into your system. Try to avoid antibacterial products such as dish soap, hand soap, and laundry products. Keep grease to a minimum. Waste food products should be diverted to composting. And keep an eye on the kids- an amazing number of toys get flushed and plug up the works.
Finally, despite your best efforts, a certain amount of sediment will accumulate in both chambers of your tank, and every two or three years you should have the tank pumped. A large specially equipped truck will vacuum out the contents of the tank and haul it away. This is a great time to inspect your tank, and if you're queasy about it, be sure to be there when the pump truck is there- the operator would be happy to explain to you what he sees. I usually recommend to people that pump out during the summer. It's usually less expensive as they can dispose of the effluent in licensed ponds or fields, and it gives the tank time to refill and re-establish it's bacterial population before winter sets in. A full healthy tank won't freeze.
Great info thanks for posting. My tank top is cement and just has a square cement cover that drops flush with the tank. Can you add a riser to this if so how do you get it to seal?
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote