View Single Post
Old 08-15-22, 11:29 PM   #11
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
So you now have to come up with a monitoring system with a relay to shot off a load when the charger is running. Why overcomplicate it as well as not doing it according to code and common sense. Just run another 220 circuit from the panel. Most panels are in the garage already and a few feet of wire a breaker and a receptacle are less than $100 and you won't have any issues.
Two use cases I can think of are if there is no spare capacity left to add another breaker or if the panel is quite a distance from the garage but there's an existing circuit that could be tapped.

In the case of adding solar, the concern is that the load could potentially pull more than what the original breaker was sized to allow (since the solar is a second source), so add a second breaker at the load or junction point of the same rating as the original breaker and have the solar connect in between the two breakers.