View Single Post
Old 07-20-15, 08:19 PM   #1
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Default new house, lots to do.

Well, we just sold our 2000' house with a 20' x 20' back yard and moved to a 900' house with a 30' by 200' back yard.

The old 75 year old owners conserved absolutely nothing. I added up the light bulbs and they totaled 2450w of incandescent. We made a trip to the HD and came home with 320w of LEDS as replacements. So far, they are 8.5w Philips replacements for 75 watt spot lights (I think I could have gone down to 6w or less ea and still get great light). We also got a bunch of CREE lights to replace single bulbs. So far so good. I suspect I could probably do with 220w.

Next, there is a single window shaker and I got a deal on Friedrich 1 ton, 20 seer ductless, from my wholesaler. I found out that for a few years, GREE made these units for Friedrich rather than Fujitsu. I couldn't resist the $200 clearance price.

There is still an up the chimney 50% efficiency rental gas water heater which I will rip out. I will put in an electric one with PV power and off peak electric backup. That should work out all right.

More to come.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote