View Single Post
Old 01-03-15, 01:01 PM   #5
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

The current situation with breeder reactors (not just thorium) is very similar to the events I just recalled in my previous post. Since thorium has been classified as nuclear fuel, it has a unique set of tight regulations associated with its handling and sequestering. Even though it is no more radioactive than coal in processed form, its handling regulations force domestic industries to treat it like the plague. Nobody wants to have anything to do with it at all. So guess who is doing all the thorium processing? Yep, you guessed it, China.

This time around, the DoE is jumping into bed with China in developing working, utility scale breeder reactors with the "ministry of nuclear power" or whatever they call it over there. Since the politicians know there is no way they can jump start an experimental nuclear power plant project with any measure of success, they have entered into an agreement much like my employer did in the 90's. The Chinese are supplying the raw materials and infrastructure as before. This time, they are also supplying the vast majority of the engineers and scientists that will participate in the design phase of the project as well.

Compared to the previous example, the stakes are much, much higher. The power industry is being sold down the river this time in the name of progress. If the current situation plays out like the previous one did, we will be buying our power plant reactors and refined fuel from China, just as we are now doing with rare earth elements. Even if we finally decide to start building our own reactors and refine our own fuel, we will be paying China for the right to do so. This is a serious conflict of national security.

Last edited by jeff5may; 01-03-15 at 02:19 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote