View Single Post
Old 04-27-21, 03:59 AM   #9
osolemio
Hong Kong

Great idea with the first-flush system. I am just thinking how it will fill up with debris and clogging itself quite quickly? So you would need to open it and clean it quite often (yet much easier than cleaning out the tank).

I have had a 7500 liter water tank (made by company Graf, Germany), since around 2012. It has saved 3/4 of the water consumption in the house. Not much irrigation, but toilet flushing and laundry takes up so much.

Other benefits: As the water from the rain is without limestone or other minerals, it is excellent for cleaning windows. Bucket and sponge is all that is needed. No soap, no chemicals, not even need for a scraper. Just wash the windows with rain water and there will be no stripes.

Water tank underground means the water won't rot.

It is important to take the water from just below the surface. So the suction hose needs a float. Heavy stuff like sand sinks to the bottom while leaves and other lightweight items that makes it past the filters, will float on top.

Obviously, stop using the rain water in time, before the intake gets too close to the bottom of the tank.

Backup mains water: This system has a cistern built in to it. Smart high tech system, but I would have preferred to use the tank itself as a cistern. In other words, when the tank reaches the minimum level (typically 10%), add in mains water until it reaches, say, 12%.