View Single Post
Old 08-17-11, 07:03 PM   #14
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I've been watching craigslist and either people around here don't have them, or they want a mint for them. Plus, DIY is a fun project and if I can come up with an easy way for others to do it too, that would be great.
I guess it depends on where you are as to whats available, I just thought that cordless mowers would be a good source of parts.
I picked up 4 altogether so far, 1 was good sold to my friend the other 3. I was able to get 1 good 12v 17 amp/hr batt, 3 good motors, 1 24volt relay with a 100amp fuse, micro switches, and 2 hi amp switch, plus they all came with blades. These motors were made to turn a blade so you don't have to worry about that.
I don't think you can burn out the motor on these as the batteries can't deliver enough amps for a long enough period of time, maybe if the blade was jammed but then the fuse or cb would blow.

Getting back to the first post
For relay you might want to look at some 12volt RV relays. Maybe some auto relays, ex fuel pump relay I think there 30 or 40 amp. You could also use a standard 120volt household circuit breaker, 40, single.
For batteries what ever you can find, there are as I said before 12 volt sealed lawn tractor batteries, but $100. each that gets expensive for 2.
Scooter parts there are a lot of suppliers around for that stuff.
Hope this helps.

Keep use posted I'll be watching this tread, I'm sure to learn something.
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote