View Single Post
Old 05-05-11, 12:03 AM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

depends on the size of the garden and what you're doing.

I at the moment work full time during the day do an hour or two at night and have two kids under 3. I also have 1000 sqft of vegetables and probably a couple hundred more of flowers as well as 12 fruit trees. Right now each weekend it takes a few hours to keep up with the weeding and new planting but really the real work will be this summer with the watering. I intend to use timers and drip irrigation to get that mostly automated. When Summer finally gets here I'll need to spend 30 minutes to an hour every day just looking things over. I've been doing this for a few years though so if you're new at it it will take a lot more time.

Creating new beds takes a bunch of time and the initial weeding on them is hellish. I made a small one 2'x5' with bricks for a border and a fruit tree in the middle. Due to it having 5 stumps in the same space(old hedge) it took 3 hours to put the bricks in and remove the grass.

Start small. 10x10 gives you tons of space to figure things out in without taking all of your free time. 4x4 anyone can keep up with.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote