Thread: CFL or LED
View Single Post
Old 01-03-13, 12:46 PM   #25
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadb View Post
Another interesting thing to note is I've noticed a couple are staying very dimly lit even with the switch off. Looks like I have some faulty switches that need replaced. I wouldn't have realized this without LEDs in the fixtures.
I've noticed the same effect. I don't think its caused by faulty switches though. Leds need very little current to turn on at very low voltage. Usually there is a very small leakage current in any house between the white return wire and the green ground wire. That completed circuit does not go through the light switch. It's usually just not enough current or voltage to cause an effect but leds are sensitive enough to expose it.

If you are interested in finding if that's the cause, and you are comfortable with electrical work, then temporarily pull the green ground wire from that circuit. If that is the cause then the leakage current should stop but the leds should still work normally with the wall switch on. I wouldn't leave the ground disconnected though. It's there for your safety.
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exeric For This Useful Post:
chadb (01-03-13)