View Single Post
Old 09-29-12, 03:58 PM   #39
opiesche
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Absolutely, the pump and fittings need to be non-ferrous. While you may get the air out of the system, the O2 in the water will still attack ferrous components. I have removed many iron body pumps from jobs where the (usually plumber) has installed non barrier tubing and the rust has eaten out the non ferrous components. Another thing to remember is that some zone valves are designed for closed loop systems only because they do not have stainless steel components. I cannot tell you off hand which ones apply but typically ball valve type are fine.

Also, try to have the pump on a vertical pipe so that any sediment doesn't sit in the pump volute.
OK, thanks! Going for a different pump than I originally intended, then. The zone valves are built into the manifold, so I don't know what type they are - but it is a closed loop system. I'm still debating whether I want a mixing valve that I can control electronically so I can adjust the water temperature if necessary. I'd need something that I can switch via a relay - I've got a little research to do yet
opiesche is offline   Reply With Quote