View Single Post
Old 09-29-12, 03:37 PM   #38
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiesche View Post
No, I'm not using O2 barrier tubing. It's a closed loop system and the water heater will be dedicated, and the manifold has an air eliminator at the end of the return side, so air that the tubing accumulates through expansion and subsequent contraction of the water should be removed by that to avoid corrosion. Do you figure I still need a non-ferrous pump and fittings?

I'll check out the Vertex water heater - the significantly higher efficiency would definitely make a condensing one more attractive, but they are usually so %$#^ expensive compared to regular ones :P

Thanks for the info!
Absolutely, the pump and fittings need to be non-ferrous. While you may get the air out of the system, the O2 in the water will still attack ferrous components. I have removed many iron body pumps from jobs where the (usually plumber) has installed non barrier tubing and the rust has eaten out the non ferrous components. Another thing to remember is that some zone valves are designed for closed loop systems only because they do not have stainless steel components. I cannot tell you off hand which ones apply but typically ball valve type are fine.

Also, try to have the pump on a vertical pipe so that any sediment doesn't sit in the pump volute.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote