View Single Post
Old 07-29-12, 08:41 PM   #7
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I don't see the reason of being alarmed unless the power has been out long enough to have a problem. If it were in the middle of the winter and temperature would be an issue, I'd know because the house is cold or I wouldn't be home to hear the alarm.

I'd rather have something that told me how long the power is out. For example I went on vacation a few months ago and came back to flashing digital clocks and had no clue whether or not I could trust the refrigerator contents, good thing for me is I didn't have any milk because I had finished it off before leaving and I'm not worried about the ketchup, pickles, etc too much and there was no meat in the fridge so there wasn't really anything to go bad except for a few remaining slices of cheese. I used to live in a house with a mechanical 12 hour clock on the oven and that was nice because if you were at work or gone for not too long you could have an idea that it was only out for a couple of hours and to not be concerned. ...if it were out for 12 hours, I would have started chucking goods that were possibly spoiled. In my case I think I will put a thermometer that records min/max temps in the refrigerator when going on future vacations.

I'm not sure why you need an alarm to tell you the power is out immediately outside of needing to know that you have failed power for a sump pump or something, but in that case the 12v backup should have an alarm to indicate that its running on the backup.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote