View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 09:58 PM   #27
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyDoug View Post
The problem I see with all discussion of energy production is that everyone wants more energy, with or without the consequences. Nobody in the public arena is suggesting that we use less energy to begin with.
Jimmy Carter was talking about lower energy use 45 years ago. That's why the speed limit was dropped to 55 mph. Every president since then, except the current one, has repeated the same thing. President Obama pushed for EV's, higher efficiency in ICE vehicles, LED light bulbs, and the elimination of incandescent bulbs. Our current leaders seem to think none of those things matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyDoug View Post
Improvements in combustion efficiency of fossil fuels hasn't reduced its use. As jet engines improved, plane fares went down, more people started flying. As cars became more efficient, longer commute times became the norm. As home insulation improved, people bought bigger houses. The list goes on.
Actually as cars became more efficient they also became larger and larger. For a while I had access to a Ford e model van with I think a 351 engine in it. Damn thing was like 18 feet long but still got over 20 mpg on the freeway @ 62 mph. Now you have a ton of 4000 pound vehicles out there that make 300 to 500 horsepower that they never need. Instead of getting 25 to 30 mpg, they get 20 to 25.

JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote