View Single Post
Old 02-15-20, 09:46 AM   #23
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Very true about nuclear power (or as I like to call it, fossilized supernova fuels)! France & Germany are a great example of unintended consequences. I was very skeptical for a long time, but the more I look into it, the more it makes sense for baseload power (at least until solar and battery technology develops enough to make fossil fuels uncompetitive). What's interesting is that most current reactors are basically designs that work great for nuclear submarines (infinite water cooling, always under pressure) put on land (not such a good idea when your cooling source fails). But what's really exciting is the advanced reactor designs being developed, the Molten Salt Reactor among them, that are far more efficient, way safer and open the possibility of using currently stored nuclear waste as fuel. PBS's Nova had a great documentary about it. Also check out Kirk Sorensen. Titan s of Nuclear is a great podcast if you want to get in-depth with nuclear experts around the world.
menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote