View Single Post
Old 11-16-17, 03:55 PM   #5
medicdude
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethebrown View Post
I'd pass. Security is my main reasoning. You will be allowing a government piece of equipment on your wifi network. Can you, without a shadow of a doubt, trust that they wont use their equipment to monitor anything else? Can you, without a shadow of a doubt, trust that someone cannot hack into that device and use it nefariously to monitor you?
While a good portion of your paranoia is valid here, I think you're over-doing it a little.

I do recommend you setup a secondary wifi or ethernet network for any devices like this, because they do have the capability to snoop your regular traffic if they were compromised.

Ideally this would be a one-way only device, where it just recieves demand response info and acts accordingly. I can't understand why they would want positive record of its actual operation, they should just assume it is running as expected, and if it's not, you're going to know because it won't be making hot water. In reality it could be anything, so.

*EDIT*: I guess they would want to know exactly how much energy they could sink, so it would be advantageous to know if the device is requested to be running, but is not, because it is not needed.
medicdude is offline   Reply With Quote