View Single Post
Old 04-03-13, 01:29 PM   #90
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Using the SHT-15 Temperature and Humidity Sensor

The Sensorion SHT15 breakout board arrived from Sparkfun.

I already had a SHT10 laying about, but honestly, it is so small, I'm not sure if I can work with it... besides, the SHT15 is much more accurate.

Above is a close-up of the SHT15, balanced on a couple of pennies. As you can see, life becomes much easier with the breakout board. I mean, it may be possible to solder directly to the SHT15 (which is already mounted on an incredibly tiny board), but life is too short and my fingers are too thick.

I soldered some pins to the thru-holes on the board so that I could plug it in to the proto-board so that I could get it going.

Then I read through the specs... the SHT15 uses 3.3v. Unfortunately, my proto-board is only supplied with GND, +5v, +12v, -12v.

So I will need to get a 3.3v regulator.

Also, further reading of the specs indicated that:
Quote:
IMPORTANT: After soldering the devices should be stored at >75%RH for at least 12h to allow the polymer to re-hydrate. Otherwise the sensor may read an offset that slowly disappears if exposed to ambient conditions. Alternatively the re-hydration process may be performed at ambient conditions (>40%RH) during more than 5 days.
So, I had to construct a re-hydration chamber so that the SHT15 would deliver the accuracy I am looking for.

The above picture is my re-hydration chamber, skillfully crafted from a Thai Food To-Go box.

So while the sensor is re-hydrating, I'm off to find a 3.3v regulator.

Best,

-AC
Attached Images