View Single Post
Old 08-23-17, 08:53 PM   #28
oil pan 4
Land owner

I have 15lb of fly ash to mix up. What I can find on structural concrete the authorities on the subject recommend replacing 15% to 80% of the Portland cement with fly ash by weight, depending on the application.

I found that the acrylic additive helps but not much compared to its cost at least for high velocity impact resistance. It is very expensive. You are looking at an additional $150 to $300 per yard to wet concrete with acrylic.
A 25% acrylic to 75% water mix seemed to be almost identical to control sample, that amount would add $75 per yard to the cost.
My 50/50 mix sample showed some improvement, but not $150 per yard worth of improvement.
By comparison a sample with $7 per yard worth of cheap plastic mesh reinforcement preformed much better than the 22x the cost acrylic sample.
I had pretty much abandoned the idea of using acrylic, but I could work on it again. Would be ideal for real small batches for precast special stuff l, where cost per yard isn't a big deal because you are only mixing up a tiny fraction of a yard.

I have some additive containing EVA but have not tested it yet.

I have never seen fly ash in a hardware store. It would be nice if it were easy for me to get. Have to mail order it. Maybe I can special order it as long as I canorder less than a pallet.

Soon I would like to do a test where I make some Portland cement with 15% and then 30% by weight fly ash and mix that special cement up into concrete using the 1:1:2 by volume mix ratio. I just need to find some good angular large agg.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote