View Single Post
Old 10-14-11, 02:33 PM   #19
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I picked up some new brass at the home improvement store.

Two nipples and two boiler drains. I figured that I needed to use garden hose to flush and drain the tank, and the boiler drain has garden hose threads right on it.

Here's the new brass fitted to the tank.

I then connected up my garden hose (Actually, a fancy double-ended hose, as it's going from one spigot to another.) The other hose was draining out onto the lawn.

I did this for a few minutes just to flush everything out, and make sure there weren't any major leaks or screw-ups.

After that, I connected the hoses to a Harbor Freight stainless steel 12VDC water pump.

This is more or less what my final system will be. The sections of garden hose were even roughly the distance from where my panel to my tank will be.

I had two 5-gallon buckets. But checking to see how long it would take to fill one from the other, I could determine my flow rate.

It took 4 minutes to fill a 5-gallon bucket. That's a flow rate of 1.25 gallons per minute. I'm shooting for anywhere between 1 and 3 GPM. It's on the low end, but ok.

The "sucking" hose is squeezed down a bit from the pump pulling on it, so I think that's hurting the flow rate just a tad. Rigid pipe would fix that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote