View Single Post
Old 01-24-11, 10:44 PM   #505
Drake
DIY Guy

Economical long term heat storage seems to be the "holy grail" of eco-heating. Seems to be some real possibilities out there I just can't spend $10 to save a dime. So far the only data supportable earth storage I've come across is being tested in Isabella Eco house in N MN(wish I could LINK). 16 INCH insuld taconite/sand bed. That doesn't mean other methods aren't working.

Do you think your temp drop could be because your ground loop might be undersized or that your connecting run appears to be somewhat shallower than the 5-6' deep installations I've seen(losing some heat to colder surface)? Don't know what should actually be stable at. Your field design is nice that it is expandable. If I can get the cost in hand enough go heat pump to drive my hdro system I would like to. In my construction plan I will be trenching(80-100') for septic and foundation drainage out thru hillside to mound septic field. For me this would be the ideal opportunity the lay ground loop in same earth work. Even if I don't use it's only a few hundred feet of tube.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote