View Single Post
Old 04-22-11, 07:31 PM   #25
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Local-Sourced Passive House in Wales

Here's an interesting page from UK about a very challenging Passive House project in Wales.

I found this article very interesting because a lot of the thinking (not always technical) that went into the project is on display in this interview.

Of particular interest is the very keen attention given to CO2 minimization, and local-sourcing of materials which is in line with CO2 reduction but also the training and encouragement of local labor and crafters to become involved, so it really looks like a triple-win to me.

It also got me thinking about the real cost of electricity, since such a large part of it is lost in transmission, and the coal fired power plants where it originates, and their huge contribution to CO2, and damaging emissions, and permanent damage to the environment in mining.

Similar thinking can be carried out about the true cost (real harm) of any non-renewable fuel.

So the initiatives that will drastically reduce our energy use are so valuable to us, in ways that are not s simple to calculate.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images