View Single Post
Old 05-06-15, 11:01 PM   #19
rvCharlie
Lurking Renovator

I did something similar when we renovated our early-50's era ranch about 15 yrs ago. Since I'm too cheap to buy anything new if I can find it used or salvaged, I used metal/foam 'door cores', the waste left when a foam core exterior metal door has an opening cut in it for glass. Obtained them locally from a local door mfg company. The existing shingle roof was covered with the metal/foam/metal sandwich, and metal roofing was screwed down on top, with screws reaching through to the original 1x6 roof decking. The walls were covered with the same material then wrapped with house wrap, then fiber cement siding applied using a framing nail gun and 3 1/4" galvanized framing nails that went through the siding, insulating panels, and into the original 1x6 sheathing.

This is a hip roof with soffit vents & passive ridge line vents.Winter insulation is basically ok (wasn't that careful about sealing up the 50 yr old house), but summer in MS it's magic. Attic temps in August (typically 140-160 in MS) are only 10-15 above outside temp.

Charlie
rvCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote