View Single Post
Old 04-27-15, 03:37 PM   #17
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

Hey Creeky,

What you are talking about is called ASV (above sheathing ventilation). We discussed it in this thread as well : http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...tion-help.html

It is a great way to go. I had to work with what my roofers were comfortable doing. Get them out of their comfort zone and the price goes way up and the quality usually goes down.

Also, I'm at the top of a hill with high winds. I really wanted my metal roof attached directly to wood. Putting the wood on top of the foam wouldn't have given me that. With the silver metal, rigid foam and then spray foam underneith the sheathing, I think I'm doing ok.

Now that I'm about to start putting on my hardi siding, it looks like they will let me nail through foam and into the studs as long as the foam isn't more than 1" thick. I haven't decided if I'm going to go with one or two layers of rigid 3/4" foam. I would really like to nail directly, so I might just do one layer of 3/4". Then I can do the window and door trim on TOP of the foam.

I will take lots of pictures of that too.
dablack is offline   Reply With Quote