View Single Post
Old 01-20-13, 10:02 AM   #5
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Like Randon, I have a full machine shop so I can fabricate most things. Many people will use Rotalocks (special threaded fittings) for refrigerant connections to the pot or some other components but I prefer to have a brazed connection. I am a bit concerned that the startup torque of the pot will cause a brazed fitting to fail but I'll wait and see. Maybe a soft start will solve it if it does.

I had an opportunity to buy some Chinese HX for a good price but decided to spend a bit more and get some that are certified. Side bar here, I lost a bid to put a solar water system on an apartment building and the winning bid promised the moon. In the end, they brought in all Chinese, non-certified components including plastic pipe for pressure piping and covered it up before inspectors could see it. They had to limit the solar temp to 140 as the pipe would not take much more and eventually it failed. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Anyway, the HX is entirely brazed on the fridgie side and on the other side, I have gasketed unions which are REALLY common on anything European as they seldom use a tapered thread for water or boiler lines. I will take some pics later today if I get to the shop. I am using corrugated stainless steel tubing to run to the loads which will provide vibration dampening.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote