View Single Post
Old 01-20-13, 08:12 AM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Well, here is the HP mostly brazed up...
Since no one has said so, I will take it on myself to say what a nice job you are doing.

I'd like to see more photos, from different angles. It would be great to see your good work 'in the round'.

Please say more about the components you are using, even tube size... everything. And how you came to choose the particular components that you are using.

The more information we can bring out, the more useful this site will be.

So what will be your water source? Well? Lake? River? Loop field?

Also, that's a nice, healthy looking HX you have there.

Just a cautionary word... I realize that you may have taken care of this already, but I had some problems with using a similar HX, in that mine had MPT connections all around, and I had used an adapter that wasn't a taper thread on the gas side. It held for a while, but eventually started leaking. I haven't gone back to deal with that one. I asked about the problem at my local HVAC parts place, and they recommended switching to an adapter that had FPT (tapered) threads AND using some kind of special 'pipe dope' that folks in the HVAC trade use. I don't know from personal experience how effective that stuff is.

But I have seen some killer deals on HXs that had pipe thread all around... I contemplated the possibility of brazing an adapter to the inside of the MPT fitting, and going with brazed connections everywhere. I have come to really trust brazed connections and to be wary of flare and threaded fittings. On my next HX I made sure that I had sweat (braze) fittings on the gas side and MPT on the water side.

Keep up the good work, you're off to a good start!

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-20-13 at 08:41 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
kbonk (01-27-13)