View Single Post
Old 01-08-13, 12:04 PM   #10
workaholic
Lurking Renovator

Sorry I have been away for a while. You guys have been great to answer in so much detail, but I didn't give enough detail when I originally posted my question. It's a long story so here goes:

My father-in -law built this house in the mid 60's.
Crawl sapce with only 2 tiers of blocks
No drainage around the footers.
No ventilation in crawl
He drained his bathtub on the Ground in the crawl!!
the distance from topof dirt to bottom of floor joists is only 7-12"
water drains Towards the foundation on 3 sides
SEVERE MOISTURE PROBLEMS !!!
rotten joists, termites, black mold.

I am not going to try to fix any of this(I am going to have the house torn down in the summer) but am moving my mother in law to an existing concrete block garage located about 50' from the house .
Here is what I have done so far:
checked concrete floor of garage for moisture coming through. (taped plastic to floor, left it for a week, tore off plastic and found no moisture)

sealed all cracks in floor and mortar joints in walls,laid 2x4's on floor 16" centers leaving 3" gap between block wall and first floor joist, 4" fiberglass between joists, 3/4" subfloor on top of joists.

poured insulation in 3" gap between floor and block walls, built 2 x 4 walls inside but left 2" gap between block wall and 2x4 studs to fit 6" insulation and avoid thermal bridging.( this is where I plan to use the insulation out of her attic in the old house)

framed up the opening where the 16' garage door was with 2x8's and install insulated door and low-e window.

I plan to screw horizontal girts to the exterior walls on 36" centers. I am going to glue 1/2" foil backed foam insulation to the blocks between the girts, cover the exterior walls (girts, and foam insulation) with 6 mil plastic then cover it all wit 5 rib corrugated metal.

Then I will blow in 14" of cellulose in attic.
Kitchen cabinets, 90% gas furnace, gas water heater, various interior doors, etc. will be robbed out of her old house, cleaned and reused.

So.. starting at the exterior I have: metal sheathing--6 mil plastic--1" air gap--1/2" foil backed foam--8" concrete blocks--6" fiberglass--drywall inside

any suggestions will be appreciated.
workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote