View Single Post
Old 12-18-13, 05:19 AM   #408
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeric View Post
@ Mikesolar
I guess my problem with this whole tangential discussion is the idea that there is someone in this discussion that supports reflective bubble wrap. No one here does who is at all informed, least of all me. It just seems like a straw man to get people riled up that signifies nothing.

The thing that irritated me so much was the migration of the bubble wrap issue (or vice versa) to Michael's post that the mylar flat reflective material was inherently defective. No evidence except his own heresay is given as evidence. But his description was not challenged because there is so much prejudicial evidence from the reflective bubble wrap issue. As a person who has covered his entire rafters with the non-bubble wrapped version of the stuff I find that objectionable. But for some reason my issue about that is conflated by you and others as a reflective bubble wrap issue. It isn't.
Exeric,
Please read my posts on this again. I am NOT dissing radiant barriers although I think the insulation aspect of the bubble part has been misrepresented by the industry.

I am, however, stating where, in MY climate, they will work best. Mylar coatings are great and like I said somewhere earlier, I have used them as a radiant barrier first in 1993, and still do. That house did not use bubble wrap just mylar coated building paper (which is still in good shape, BTW.

For most of my history I hated cooling because it was never needed where I grew up. No one had it. Things are different now and cooling is being demanded and I have to work with that.

Your reflective barrier in the attic is a good choice and I have nothing against it.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote