View Single Post
Old 12-15-13, 11:22 PM   #389
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Before everyone jumps on the "I love it!" , "I hate it!" bandwagon that people here are so prone to I would suggest that there are uses for reflective film. The reflective bubble insulation on its face is a bit of a fraud with the claims of its insulation value of 4 or even 26 by some shysters. But just because that is a fraud many of you jump to the conclusion erroneously that reflective film is worthless.

I chalk it up to the human characteristic of people getting their hopes up with a fraudulent claim - being disappointed - then making an equal knee jerk reaction in the opposite direction. People must use some common sense. One never uses reflective foil as a substitute for insulation. For instance it will never insulate against cold. It does reflect radiation and it also does so in the infrared regime. To deny that just means whoever is saying that is being theatrical and assuming knowledge they don't have.

The best use of reflective foil is in attics where it works as claimed and spending more for reflective bubble wrap is just a waste of money there. However, I'm not completely sure foam board covered with foil wouldn't work well under a floor, as long as it is completely air sealed and has an air gap of at least an inch or so from the floor. You would then be combining regular insulation with the radiation reflective properties. I don't think it's really a big win compared to just using insulation, though.

If reflective foil did not work at least a little I wouldn't be maintaining a regular 40 degree F temperature difference in the space above the foil and the space below. Tell me again that reflective foil does not work with infrared frequencies!!

Edit:"If reflective foil did not work at least a little I wouldn't be maintaining a regular 40 degree F temperature difference in the space above the foil and the space below." I should qualify that. It happens every day for about 2 hours and then dissipates. That's because there is no real insulating value in reflective foil. It just keeps those infrared rays from warming the rest of the house during the hours of most intense sunshine.

Last edited by Exeric; 12-15-13 at 11:34 PM..
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote