View Single Post
Old 12-07-13, 12:39 PM   #365
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Michael

Really a nice job!! Nice layout. I like your manifold set-up.

We live in Canada with hydronic floor heating now for a number of years. Of late we had changed from oil fired to solar hot-water with geo-thermal back-up. ( some winters are more geo-thermal with solar back-up "little sun")

The heated floors are the holy grail of heating system. People that come to visit say Wow when their feet hit the floor. During the deep winter (outside temp -10 to -20 Deg. F. ) the floor is maintained at an elevated temperature of 85-88 Deg. F. Its almost therapeutic as it feels so warm. But for the more temperate winter temperatures of 40-0 Deg. F. the floor is maintained at 76-78 Deg. F

I'm not sure what your plan for floor coverings are but we have porceline tiles, wood plank and a big mistake carpet in one room.(going to change eventually)

The tile floors are truly amazing, wood plank OK but wouldn't recommend it. But carpet totally sucks!! A tile floor, if you need a small area rug is OK.

Anyway Great job Michael you'll really enjoy your heated floor.

Oh, one final thing that I had found with the heated floor. Controlling the zones is not so nessisary as the heat is so uniform. I have a thermostat controlling each zone {6}(rooms) A little over-controlled!! One thermostat controlling the main floor is enough and a separate thermostat controlling the garage would be all required. The thermistor is epoxied in the concrete floor as we sense the floors temp and not the air. Use a tube drilled into the concrete or some method that you can change out the thermistor as a thunderstorm that has been close took out some of mine and what a PITA to replace.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote