AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Have you any further data?
I'll post recent data later today.

Quote:
Will you post the source of the one wire sensors?
Yes, I got them from China via ebay. The part number is DS18B20. If you specify your search for 'buy it now' and also 'price + shipping: lowest first', you will very quickly zero in on your best pick. I got 20, so I'd have more for future projects.

Quote:
What sort of microcontroller are you using?

There is a local guy (Travis) who designed a simple, open-source Arduino logger board for his own use... he also sells them. It works right out of the box, but it can be modified and expanded if you are technically inclined. Available HERE.

Quote:
Did you construct the data collecting set up from parts, and if so will you show photos of it? Did you write the code the microcontroller uses, and if so will you share that code?
The logger is open source, the schematic is on-line, as is the source code. But, for $45, trying to DIY just might be a 'fool's errand'.

Quote:
Is the microcontroller performing any task other than logging the temperatures?
The hardware and software are designed with the possibility of adding additional capability. So far, I have not taken advantage of this flexibility.

As it comes out of the box, it writes all data to a SD card. There are also serial pins available. So far, I just let it run, then stop it, and remove the card and dump the data into my PC, where I import it into a spreadsheet program (Gnumeric). I want to add a serial link so that I don't interrupt logging.

The logger records a sample every minute, which is more frequent than I need. I think that a sample every 5 or ten minutes would be sufficient. I am also looking into a 'data smoothing' routine, that would add the results of a number of readings (X) and then divide the summed numbers by X, and write that average to the SD card.

But even without those modifications, it is very useful.

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-05-13 at 10:55 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
michael (07-05-13)