View Single Post
Old 03-08-09, 09:54 PM   #18
larryrose11
Efficency nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Larry, how come it decreased sickness in the house? Just curious.
We had mildew problems from condensation, around cold air leaks. This resulted in a low levil sickness and frequent colds for most of the winter. The foam in the walls sealed everything up and insulated it all. The air now comes in 1 spot in the utility room, a 6 inch tube with a passive barometric operated mark up vent.

Quote:
do you happen to have pictures of what you did? I'd love to see them. I'm not quiet understanding everything you're saying because I don't always know all the home renew lingo.
see attached pics. The last you can see the new windows, and the 1 inch foasm decking I had put over the frame to eliminate thermal bridging.

Quote:
What would you recommend sealing things with in the attic? I have blown insulation in there now, but I'm going to go up there in spring and make sure nothing is leaking. So I'm going to seal up all the lights and stuff. Would you use the spray foam or caulking for that?
Remember, the goal is to make an air tight seal between the living space and the non-living space. Seal up all the wall headers in the attic: The tops of all the walls. seal it with spray foam, or GreatStuff foam. As for the recessed lights, make boxes out of foam board sealed up with foam. make sure that the boxes have about 2-3cm of clearance on each side of the fixture. Push the foam box over the recessed fixture, and attache it to the attic floor, sealing it in place with spray foam. ALSO, make sure that the attic hatch door is also sealed. Reienforce the attic dooe with wood (2*4's?) and use EPDM stick on window seal strips to make the seal, similar to a front door.

Quote:
Where is the wall's cavity eaves?
In the pic - baffels_installed.JPG, the area labeled "Cavity to be filled with spray foam." you cabn see the foam baffels I installed awaiting thew foam contractor. The old tar board decking anf old roof flashing is still in place. I replaced the flashing with a ventilated drip edge:
Roof Ventilation and Drip Edge System
When I was in the attic last, I installed 5 inch thick foam plugs in the eves, where the cellulose insulation is insufficient. See attached diagram, I could see daylight in the air passages.
Attached Images

larryrose11 is offline   Reply With Quote