View Single Post
Old 09-21-12, 12:12 AM   #1319
Free heat
Lurking Renovator

Anyone have some guidance or directions on bypassing the outdoor air coils on an ac or hp into a water to refrigerant heat exchanger of my own design?

I've read through many pages of this thread and haven't seen any on this type of question. I'm wondering about limits on the length of tubing the compressor can run and still function properly, the sizing of the copper pipes to replace the air coils, and if there is any problem of oil separation in the refrigerant with long lines, or with low points in the piping.

Also, ideally, after demonstration of function on a small separate unit, I'd really like to modify the hp already installed in my home so that it could either use the outdoor air coils, or my water to refrigerant loop. The thought was to put in some manual valves, maybe one in each loop, so that the refrigerant would be forced into the desired loop. I didn't know if one valve in each line was enough, or if it really requires two on each line. If two are needed, is there any problem with balancing the refrigerant in each loop so the system operates correctly each time a switch is made.

Thanks
Free heat is offline   Reply With Quote