View Single Post
Old 05-26-16, 10:26 AM   #73
stevehull
Steve Hull

Randen,

When I spoke of balancing it was not to balance the two 120 legs - rather it is production vs load balancing.

You can't just connect a PV panel/inverter up to an appliance (even if 240 V). An inverter is neither a current or voltage source.

Power has to go somewhere and most inverters simply go dead if the output load is not appropriate. Or there is smoke . . . .

This is why I spoke of the need for an intelligent dump load. In this case (imagine full noon sun) and the appliance load is < production power.

A lot of people in the utility offices watch this VERY carefully and are constantly bringing production up and down on and off line to meet ever changing hourly grid power needs. They have strict voltage, current and frequency limits they need to keep the grid within. Some of this is automated, but there is ALWAYS a power engineer in each generation station on 24x7 to either add or strip load - manually if need be.

Load balancing is not easy. One way to do it is to combine batteries and PV panels and THEN do the AC conversion. The maximum from the batteries is always > than load. But this is also expensive.

I am not aware of an inverter (no battery storage) that just with PV panels and the inverter has an associated output that can connect to a dump load (240 V resistance element in water tank for example) that can balance production load and dump automatically.

I would sure like to see one!

Steve
Servicetech (06-04-16)