View Single Post
Old 02-18-14, 01:20 PM   #7
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

dablack - I have a transfer switch made by Midnite solar that I use to manually switch the power. I considered an automatic switch but changed my mind because the manufacturer didn't give me enough info.

I could use the Midnite Classic charge controller to turn the inverter off at dusk and back on at dawn. I thought about the inverter on/off cycling and I think it will reduce its like expectancy. I might look at putting a SSR on the inverter's output later. That will work for sure.

Right now, I'm living in a trailer until the container house is finished. It's one of the RV AC units. The entire trailer is ran with a 30 amp breaker.

Steve and Exeric - I bought the last panels from EcoDirect.com for the same price I paid for just the laminates from Sun Electronics. 80 cents per watt from both locations. Sun charged me $500 for packing and shipping on top of that. If Sun had the panels in smaller than a container, I may have bought from them again. Their sales staff has not treated me well in the past though. Sun's prices are higher for charge controllers and inverters. Eco Direct and Northern Arizona Sun and Wind (NAWS) are my favorite places to shop. NAWS also has an excellent service and sales staff and they are fast shipping.

I'm sure I will hook the entire trailer up solar power except for one plug that runs the coffee maker and the plug for the microwave because I'm too LAZY to reset the time.

BTW, I beat you by 2 years Steve. This is my second set of solar panels. The first 1,880 watts of panels powers my containers. I would put up more, but I don't need the extra power there right now. That's a nice problem to have.

Solar is pretty easy to install in comparison to wind. I admit, I'm addicted to wind power because the home made turbines are deceptively simple.

I haven't got any wind turbines in the air for almost 3 years. When I do, that will be wind generator number 7. Number 6 survived 100 mph winds several times. It could not, however, take a direct 250 mph tornado hit. It sliced the tower into thirds (not on the welds).
philb is offline   Reply With Quote