View Single Post
Old 12-04-11, 08:35 PM   #5
mincus
Helper EcoRenovator

I believe the windows are original to the house. They're not in too bad of shape. I've repaired them here and there to reduce drafts.

Last year, I used the backup heat quite a few times. It does get reasonably cold here. For about two months, lows are consistently in the teens and 20s. I haven't found info on the low temp range. Didn't know that existed. I'll look for it. The auxillary heat can't be done automatically on the thermostat.

My windows were fairly drafty. They weren't sealing well for various reasons and years of lack of upkeep from the previous owners. I got most of that fixed.

I've also been thinking about thermal mass. That definitely helps us on the main lavel. We have lots of tile and a huge granite countertop. I think that's part of the reason the temps don't cool off down here overnight too much.

I've been researching ideas to increase thermal mass. Some say to put sand/rocks in your walls. I won't be doing that anytime soon though. But, there's got to be something else I could do. Just not sure what. That would maintain my temperature overnight a bit better. I think larger thermal mass definitely helps in ASHP houses.
mincus is offline   Reply With Quote