View Single Post
Old 08-17-10, 10:14 AM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I have a dehumidifier, about two years old, near the top of the energy star ratings list, it works rather well, spending most of it's life in the basement, a few times this summer we have brought it up stairs to bring the humidity down from 90% to 60%, it takes about an hour and a half of running to dry out 1,200 square feet, pulling about a gallon of water out of the air, heating the air inside the house by about 2-3 degrees.
A window A/C unit will do the same thing if it's cooling setting is set to low, only it will push the heat out side instead of heating the house so it will cool the space slightly while it dries the air out and use about the same amount of power.
I've been temped to buy a window A/C unit, but the dehumidifier in the basement is used year round and by keeping the basement dry it also helps to keep the rest of the house dry.
I also have an indoor out door thermometer with humidity meter for both in doors and out doors so I can not only open and close windows when it's cooler in the early mornings but I can tell if it's dryer in the house then out.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
WisJim (08-24-10)