View Single Post
Old 02-04-16, 10:48 PM   #15
pletby
Renewable Energy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt390 View Post
This is fantastic, thanks for posting. I am nearby as well, so I was really excited to see a working example nearby! A few questions:
-Looks like you used PVC pipe. Any reason for that choice? I'm curious about offgassing or anything like that, but have no evidence once way or the other.
Hi gt390 thanks for taking an interest in my project. I chose PVC drain pipe simply because that's what the fellow whose project I copied used. I haven't noticed any strange smells after the first week of operation. Now it just smells like warm wood.

Quote:
-What size fan (airflow) do you have? That would give a better idea of capacity, but those leaving air temps are fantastic at -10C
It's a Nutone ILF120 rated at 110 CFM. It's meant for 4" ducting. A 6" fan and ducting would be WAY better.

Quote:
-What about a nice metal backdraft damper (a heating supply place should have or I've even heard McMunn sells decent metal backdraft dampers).
I do have one just like you describe on the inlet. It didn't stop bubbles of cold air from falling from the collector into the house through the outlet though, hence the funny looking foam door.

When I do this again, I will mount the collector to the wall against the house instead of being freestanding. That way I would not have airspeed losses or heat lost through the ducting. Plus more insulation on the wall.
pletby is offline   Reply With Quote