View Single Post
Old 02-15-14, 01:22 AM   #19
jeff88
Lots of questions

Just for confirmation, are you going to have a wall between the living room and kitchen or is it going to be open? Personally, as a interior design enthusiast, I would put either a wall or at least an island (or similar) to break it up a little. If you like the openness, that's fine (I do to), but having something like an island to "anchor" the room will be visually appealing (and give you practicality).

Another practical design idea would be to put a closet somewhere close to the front door (maybe in that corner to the left of the front door). It will be beneficial to not have to walk across the house to put away your coats/hats/rain boots, etc.

I would make that south(ish) hallway wall as thick as possible. Obviously the exterior one as well, but the more the better on the interior. It will keep whatever heat that does make it into the house in the hallway instead of permeating into the kitchen. It will also help with sound reduction between the great room and your bedroom. Also, fish tank. You should put a fish tank in the wall so you can see it walking in and in the kitchen!

In the last design photo you have, you are going to want bigger north facing windows (on the other side of the great room) if you want to maximize the passive house design aesthetic. You might also consider some skylights, especially if you aren't going to do a second story (sorry I misunderstood that).

I would add the garage into the original build, just because it will help with the passive house (assuming you put it on the living room side). If so, you could utilize the "empty space" in that corner with the front door, garage door and maybe a closet (like above). You might be able to get it built at the same time as the rest of the house, but lower priority to the living space, so that you can move in as quickly as possible.

Also, hope you're a morning person. Your bedroom is going to be nice and bright to wake you up unless you put some serious black out curtains.

Do you have more interior/exterior rough pics?
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote