View Single Post
Old 02-14-14, 01:35 PM   #18
dcceb
Lurking Renovator

Hey Jeff, Yes, the front door is in the lower left in that drawing and the map orientation is North at the top, South at the bottom. There's a hallway running along the front, so the wall will get sunlight in the winter if I size my windows and overhang right.

I'm still working this out, but I figure if my windows are 3' from the floor, 5' tall, have 2 feet above(10' ceiling height) and my roof hangs over 5', the angles are right to get winter sun on that wall the whole time the sun is up, though the bedroom will get the morning sun until about 10am when it starts hitting the front of the house. I probably need to make my windows smaller accounting for those early hours when the larger window is not any benefit.

Again, this is just a sketch, so the details aren't exactly right. I don't know if the wall should be thicker and I don't know if white is better to reflect that light or if it should be dark to absorb as much as it can.

I haven't figured exactly what I'm going to do for a dehumidifier. Air conditioning is practically a must here, but that's with structures built with the idea that they can throw air conditioning at them. I'd love to build so that air conditioning wasn't needed.

I don't plan to add a second story, I'll add on the ground level. The first addition will be a garage on the west side. I might even go ahead and do it when I build the house. The problem with that is I'm trying to get into the house as fast as possible to get out of the rent race.

I'm not sure how I'll do the solar panels. I'm not opposed to having it on ground on a tracking system. In the beginning, I might have to connect to the power company.

I still have many things that aren't figured out.
dcceb is offline   Reply With Quote