View Single Post
Old 01-05-14, 09:18 AM   #12
OffGridKindaGuy
Hi-Tech Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to OffGridKindaGuy

I used a simple approach to remove iron. If the iron can oxidize, it becomes heavy and settles..

I used a 500 gal. plastic tank and an fish aquarium air pump. I treated the water from the well in the tank before I pressured it up to use in the house. (Not under pressure, open tank working through the filler hole)

I free flowed water from the well into the plastic tank and bubbled air through it. (Float SW. installed to shut the well pump down when the plastic tank was full) The iron will settle to the bottom of the tank and looks like orange slime, which needs to be removed from time to time. (A small ElCheepo pump and a dip tube that reaches the bottom of the plastic tank works well)

I then pulled water from the tank and pressured it up with a shallow well pump/pressure tank. Ran it through a filter and softener.. Wala.. Best water in the area! (Everyone around me had bad wells) Had neighbors coming to my house for drinking water. Even removed the nasty smell..

Had to use a portion of my garage for the system but it was well worth it. No more orange sinks, laundry and hair. I'm in Ohio so I had to keep things from freezing..

Something like this may help with the solids issue but the salt thing is a whole different story. Good luck..
David (01-06-14)