View Single Post
Old 02-22-11, 07:30 AM   #16
mrd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd View Post
I understand the service port uses a schrader valve. I've got experience with schrader valves from when I used to ride my bike all the time as a kid. And I remember that fitting being very leaky whenever I was connecting/disconnecting something from it. I certainly don't want any leakage after pulling a vacuum. So, I wondered if someone sells a fitting that screws onto a schrader valve, but that has a manual control to depress the core, such that the valve could be closed before unscrewing the fitting. I would think such a thing would exist especially for HVAC work, but I had trouble locating anything. I came across this yellow jacket 18993. I dont know if the 18993 is what I wanted, but I'm hoping. HVACR-Tools.com: Yellow Jacket 18993 Gas Control Valve
I forgot to comment on this - it's funny for a few reasons. I said I don't want leakage after pulling a vacuum - but a schrader seals under positive internal pressure, not so sure about under vacuum.

I did order the 18993 - and it does manually depress the schrader. It has 1/4" connections and unfortunately with the addition of a 1/2"UNF-1/4MFl adapter, it doesn't fit on the Fujitsu. Their service valves only provide a small amount of clearance from the unit body. By the time I acquired a 90-degree adapter, I had also acquired anti-blowback/low-loss fittings for my hose, which lose so little refrigerant under pressure, it doesn't seem to make using the adapter worth bothering with.

mrd is offline   Reply With Quote