View Single Post
Old 06-24-10, 12:57 PM   #46
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Calculating Air Changes Per Hour...

As long as active minds & hands are involved with DIY HRV/ERV, I thought it would be a good idea to post some links regarding HVAC industry approved levels of room air replacement. They boil it down to Air Changes per Hour (AKA: ACH). This takes into consideration the Cubic Feet Per Minute, and also the volume of the room.

Here's a link to a page that clearly explains how to do the claculation.

And here is a link to a PDF that has the industry-approved air change rates, and also the formulas used to calculate the air change rate. (* download & save *).

Interesting to note that the Passive House standard is different and lower, and has a per-person standard or a per-area standard.

Early Passive Houses were able to hit the stringent heat-retention targets that were saught, but people complained that the Passive Houses were "stuffy". After rentless Germanic testing the following ventilating level was determined:
  • Passive House per-person = 15 CFM per person.
  • Passive House per-area = 15 CFM per 377 square feet floor area.
This works out to 0.3 ACH for a house. This works out to 1/20 to 1/67 of the recommended ASHRE standards. Interesting, huh?

I know that the Americans pretty much invented the science of air conditioning and ventilating, but the Germans should not be lightly dismissed.

Anyway I read an interview with one of the most prominent European Passive House spokesmen, and the question was raised as to whether or not a HRV would really pay for itself, and he essentially said that you should begin your design with Heat Recovery Ventilating.

I'm sold.

-AC_Hacker
Attached Images

AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote